Seems lockdown did have some positive spin off in my life as well. All that extra time binge watching Home Edit on Netflix, doing home de clutter make overs, closet overhauls and all other manner of tiding up. Basically clearing my spaces – both physically and mentally. This combined with now much curbed retail therapy budgets (we are all broke right?) and my love all things thrift, vintage and re purposed, plus passion for living lighter but still loving the feeling of new outfits and accessories primed me for the spark that ignited when I met a kindred spirit – Bronwyn Marcus of the Unfold Durban fame – and the idea of the KB Collective Pop Up Clothing Swap was born.
The idea is simple – we create the platform for our community to drop of pre loved clothing and accessories that no longer “spark joy” and give opportunity to swap out our unwanted treasures for someone else’s by hosting a bi monthly 3 day pop up shop event here at The Office. We will have music and bubbly and snacks and loads and loads of lovely FREE clothes. Heaven right?
But that is not all…
Since community support has always been the heart of all my projects we decided that all post event clothing surplus will be donated to a local charity with an operational Clothing Bank initiative – so that that clothes continue to keep on giving. We will also be working with local women shelters planning to spoil ladies who have been victims of violence and abuse with free wardrobe make overs. It’s the least we can do – every lady deserves a pamper and the spary of joy that comes with a new pretty outfit.
And so we (Bronnie and I) are so excited to announce our KB Collective Pop up Shop launch end of October (yes 4 weeks time!!!) and we invite all of you kindred souls to get involved and participate
How does it work?
- Do a closet clear out- task that may seem daunting but it’s a great way to spring clean your home and your mind
- Put to one side any good quality, undamaged items in any of the following categories
- Work/business wear
- Teens and youth
- Accessories /bags/shoes
- Beach – hats/sunnies/sarongs etc
- You can drop of your stash at the Office 97 Innes Rd Morningside(get a free coffee on us) or have it collected from designated address
- Receive tickets for all items accepted by KB Collective ( we reserve the right to use our judgement call as to what will be displayed for swopping at the shop)
- Use those tickets to “buy” items displayed during the 3 day pop up live event – yeah shop till you drop girlfriend!
Our purpose is tri fold:
- Create a fun social retail event that is accessible to anyone
- Create awareness around the Anti fast fashion movement
- Give back to those in need within our communities
Formal social media announcements to follow shortly – for now – save the date (30th Oct-1Nov) and tackle those closets KB Collective needs you!!
Are you in?
As if this was all… watch out for future Kitchenalia Swop Event and of course the Arts and Crafts and Stationery Stash Swop coming just in time for the December holidays